High School Internships
At Idaho National Laboratory (INL) we are dedicated to nurturing the next generation of scientific leaders. Our High School Internship Program offers an unparalleled opportunity for high school students driven by passion and curiosity to dive into the world of cutting-edge research and innovation.
Throughout the six-week paid summer internship, students actively contribute to solving authentic real-world challenges under the mentorship of top INL researchers and professionals. They not only gain practical experience but also learn to apply science, mathematics, engineering, and technology (STEM) concepts to address specific project requirements. This immersive experience serves to deepen their understanding in these critical disciplines while complementing their high school education.
Beyond the gaining technical skills, an INL internship plays a pivotal role in building confidence among students. It serves as a gateway, introducing them to various fields that may influence their future academic pursuits in college.
Why Choose INL’s High School Internship Program?
- 6-week paid summer internship
- Hands-on experience: Work alongside top-tier scientists and researchers on real-world projects. Explore diverse projects spanning nuclear energy, cybersecurity, environmental science, and more.
- Learning environment: Immerse yourself in a dynamic and collaborative scientific community.
- Mentorship: Benefit from mentorship by experts in your field of interest. Connect with professionals and fellow interns in a supportive and inspiring environment.
- Innovation hub: Be part of groundbreaking research initiatives at a premier national laboratory.
Who can apply?
- Students must be at least 16 years of age and legal U.S. citizens or lawful permanent residents
- Enrolled rising juniors, rising seniors, and recently graduated students
- Possess a minimum overall 3.0 GPA
- Must be able to pass all pre-employment screenings
- INL does not provide housing or transportation for high school interns
What do you need to apply?
- A statement of interest
- A copy of your high school transcripts
- A copy of your current class schedule
- A current resume
- The names and email addresses of two teachers who could provide letters of recommendation
- During the February-April application window, apply for the High School Internship position posted to INL’s Internship Job Posting page: https://inl.taleo.net/careersection/inl_intern/jobsearch.ftl?lang=en&portal=8210010144%22
- Selection: Our team reviews applications and selects candidates based on their interests and experiences.
- Confirmation: Successful candidates receive confirmation and details about their internship.
- Internship begins mid-June.