INL News Release
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
April 20, 2018
Laboratory Director Awards Ceremony honors exceptional INL employees
IDAHO FALLS – Tonight, Idaho National Laboratory celebrates remarkable achievements for 2017 at its annual awards ceremony. The Laboratory Director Awards reception will honor a wide range of talent among the diverse roles and responsibilities that make INL’s research possible.
The event will highlight achievements from 2017, including 20 newly issued patents and six copyright assertions. Lab employees will be recognized for their outstanding research and development accomplishments in support of INL’s mission.
“2017 was a year of achievement and success at INL, thanks to our dedicated employees,” INL Laboratory Director Mark Peters said. “Tonight’s ceremony is an opportunity to celebrate those achievements and express our gratitude. Congratulations to this year’s winners, and to our entire workforce for what was truly a memorable year. I appreciate everyone’s passion and hard work.”
Rick Demmer, Harry Rollins and Robert Mariani will be inducted into the Inventors Hall of Fame at the five-patent level. Douglas Akers and Kevin Gering will be inducted at the 10-patent level.
The 2017 award recipients are:
- Community Award: Mary Adamic
- Inclusive Diversity Award: Theron McGriff
- Leadership Award: Eric Dufek
- Mission Advancement: Partnership and Collaboration Award: Consequence-driven, Cyber-informed Engineering Team: Curtis St. Michel, Robert Smith, Sarah Freeman, Amanda Belloff, Roya Gordon, Kara Turner, Jeffrey Klingler
- Mission Enabling Individual Award: Gregory English
- Mission Enabling Team Award: Advanced Test Reactor Electrical Upgrade Team: Scott Despain, Michael Corbridge, Benjamin England, Russ Howard
- Laboratory Award for Early Career Exceptional Achievement: Aaron Craft
- Laboratory Award for Exceptional Engineering Achievement: Craig Rieger
- Laboratory Award for Exceptional Scientific Achievement: Masashi Shimada
- Laboratory Award for Individual Lifetime Achievement in Science and Technology: Stephen G. Johnson
- Inventor of the Year Award: Hussein Moradi
- Research and Development Technician of the Year Award: James Milloway, Byron White
- Operations Technician of the Year Award: Jordan Cox, Tiffany Schorzman
- INL Vision Award: Irradiated Materials Characterization Laboratory Team: Emil Franklin, Aaron Balsmeier, Noel Duckwitz, Jeffery Bailey, Jayson Bush
- INL Vision Award: No-Idle Motor Coach Team: Ira Pray, Jeffrey Brown, Michael Perez, Bill Ziegler, Colin Letham
INL is one of the U.S. Department of Energy’s national laboratories. The laboratory performs work in each of DOE’s strategic goal areas: energy, national security, science and environment. INL is the nation’s leading center for nuclear energy research and development. Day-to-day management and operation of the laboratory is the responsibility of Battelle Energy Alliance.