Benefits Overview

Stanley sawtooths
INL offers a comprehensive and competitive benefits package designed to provide quality services to employees and their families. With prompt enrollment, coverage under these benefit plans can begin as early as the Monday following the date of hire.

Note: All photos on this page were taken by INL employees. We love the outdoors in Idaho. Come join us!


Below is a brief overview of benefit options. Complete details on each plan are subject to provisions for each plan. For answers to questions or for further information, contact INL’s Benefits Office at (208) 526-5500.


Medical Plan

Medical coverage is provided through a Section 125 cafeteria plan and offers general medical services, mental health services, prescription drug services and routine vision exams. General medical services are provided by Blue Cross of Idaho through its national Preferred Provider Organization plan.

There are three options to choose from with varying benefits schedules providing a higher benefit for use of a network provider. Deductibles and out-of-pocket maximums are based on a percentage of the employee’s salary (up to $80,000).

Camas Cabin

Prescription drug services are provided by CVS/Caremark using three methods: retail pharmacy (30-day supply), specialty pharmacy (30-day supply) and mail order drug (90-day supply). Employees pay 20% of the retail pharmacy cost, subject to minimums and maximums. Copayments for the two other methods are: generic — $10, preferred formulary brand — $30, and non-preferred brand — $60.

Routine vision exams are provided by Vision Service Plan (VSP). Exams may be obtained from any vision care provider, but a higher benefit is provided when a VSP provider is used.

INL pays approximately 80% of the cost of these benefits. The remaining 20% is deducted from the employee’s paycheck each week as a pre-tax deduction.


Dental Plan

Two dental options are available: one insured with Delta Dental of Idaho and one offered under a Dental Maintenance Organization with Willamette Dental of Idaho. All dental options include orthodontia coverage. INL pays approximately 80% of the cost of these benefits. The remaining 20% is deducted from the employee’s paycheck each week as a pre-tax deduction.


Flexible Spending Accounts

Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA) allow an employee to pay for certain unreimbursed health care and dependent care expenses with pre-tax dollars. Health Care FSA has a maximum of $2,500 per calendar year. Dependent Care FSA has a maximum of $5,000 per calendar year.

TetonPark nomotor

Group Life and AD&D Insurance

INL provides group life insurance for full-time employees equal to 2.25 times their annual base pay along with 1 times their annual base pay for accidental death and dismemberment (AD&D) insurance. Employees may elect to purchase Group Optional Term up to an additional 5 times their annual base pay and optional AD&D insurance up to an additional 10 times their annual base pay. Optional life insurance coverage is also available for an employee’s spouse and eligible dependents. Underwriting limitations may apply for some benefits.

Arches National Park

Disability Insurance

Short-term and long-term disability insurance is provided by INL. Differing levels of reimbursement for short-term disability depend on the duration of the disability. An employee pays for a portion of his/her absence through Personal Leave, while INL pays a portion and the insurance company pays a portion. These benefits are payable for up to six months. Long-term disability insurance will begin to pay benefits after six months of continuous total disability. Long-term disability insurance provides salary continuation of 60% of base pay up to a maximum benefit of $12,000 per month.

Buck Mtn

INL Employee Investment Plan

The INL Employee Investment Plan offers the opportunity to participate in a 401(k) savings plan with several diverse funds. This plan is administered by The Vanguard Group. An eligible employee hired on or after Feb. 1, 2005, receives an INL profit-sharing contribution equal to 4.2% of her/his annual base pay. These contributions are 100% vested after three years of service and require no employee contribution.

In addition, up to 6% of an employee’s contributions to the plan are matched by INL. The Laboratory matches dollar-for-dollar on the first 3% of base pay contributed by the employee, then $0.60 for each dollar contributed on the next 3% of base pay, for a maximum match of 4.8% of base pay. Employees are 100% vested in their contributions and the INL matching amount on those contributions.


Personal Leave

Personal Leave (PL) may be used for vacation, personal business and absences (of one week or less) due to illness or injury. Employees accrue PL on a weekly basis per the following schedule: Employees assigned to the desert site work locations earn 15 additional hours of PL each year.

 Months of Service  Accrued Weekly
 0-60  2.77/144 hours
 61-108  3.23/168 hours
 109-228  3.54/184 hours
 229+  4.31/224 hours

DSC .William Newland

Additional Benefits

• Optional Pre-Paid Legal Insurance
• Employee Education Program
• Employee Assistance Program
• Optional Vision Hardware Insurance
• Paid Holidays – 90 Hours per Year
• Workers’ Compensation
• Business Travel Accident Insurance
• Social Security
• Unemployment Compensation
• Family and Medical Leave
• Wellness Program
• Subsidized Transportation to Remote Sites

IEA whitewater float

INL reserves the right to modify, revoke, suspend, terminate or change any or all benefits in whole or in part, at any time, with or without notice, and nothing contained herein should be construed as a promise of employment or continued employment, or constitute any contractual obligations.