INL News Release
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
June 17, 2016
Exhibit showcases Center for Advanced Energy Studies SciArt winning images
IDAHO FALLS — The Center for Advanced Energy Studies (CAES) invites the public to come see how research and art can intersect to produce fascinating images that lead to better understanding of energy research.
Beginning June 17, winning submissions from the CAES ARTernative Energy Contest will be on display in the CAES Gallery at the east end of the building’s second floor. CAES is located at 995 University Boulevard and is open to the public during normal working hours, Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. In addition to the display in the CAES Gallery, the winning entries are also showcased on the CAES ARTernative Energy Contest website.
CAES is a research and education consortium among Idaho National Laboratory (INL), Boise State University (BSU), Idaho State University (ISU), University of Idaho (UI) and University of Wyoming (UW). In October 2015, a call went out to employees, students and professors at all five institutions to submit art that could create greater awareness and inspire nontraditional interdisciplinary collaborations in energy research.
Over 50 images were submitted, and the top four entries from each CAES member institution were selected. All images were captured in the course of energy-related scientific research, and they include everything from microscopic views of uranium nitride powder to autofluorescent laser-scanned corn stover to virtual-reality immersion in Wyoming’s geologic formations.
Winners are listed below:
- The World of Uranium (Dr. Darryl P. Butt, Dr. Brian Jaques, Kelci Lester – BSU)
- A Virtual Peek Beneath Wyoming (Nick Jones, Emma-Jane Alexander – UW)
- Biomass in Blue (Dr. Allison Ray – INL, Lisa McDougall – ISU)
- Tidal Wave (Dr. Joshua Kane, Tammy Trowbridge – INL)
- Microscopy of a Precursor (Jacqueline Hodge – BSU)
- Zygnema (Lisa McDougall – ISU)
- Fiber Optic (David Chichester, Chris Morgan – INL)
- Formation of Framboids (Dr. Darryl P. Butt, Dr. Brian Jaques, Kelci Lester – BSU)
- Corn Stover Streaks (Dr. Allison Ray – INL, Lisa McDougall – ISU)
- Silver Wires with Iodine Condensate (Mary Adamic, Dr. Matt Watrous, Tammy Trowbridge – INL)
- Fireworks (Jatuporn Burns – BSU)
- Laminar, Transition, and Turbulent Flow in a Nuclear Reactor Channel (Dr. Brian Williams, Dr. Donald McEligot, Dr. Glenn McCreery – ISU)
- End View of ATR Fuel Element (Dr. Sean O’Kelly, Jeff Brower – INL)
INL is part of DOE’s complex of national laboratories. The laboratory performs work in each of DOE’s strategic goal areas: energy, national security, science and environment. INL is the nation’s leading center for nuclear energy research and development. Day-to-day management and operation of the laboratory is the responsibility of Battelle Energy Alliance.